NINR invites public comment on the Institute’s draft strategic plan. The draft is available on the NINR website at www.ninr.nih.gov/strategicplan2016. Members of the public can review the draft and provide comment via email to: NINRstrategicplan@mail.nih.gov.
The blueprint for the draft plan grew from the Institute’s 2011 strategic plan, past scientific accomplishments, and current research priorities, as well as four areas of scientific focus:
- Symptom Science: Promoting Personalized Health Strategies;
- Wellness: Promoting Health and Preventing Disease;
- Self-Management: Improving Quality of Life for Individuals with Chronic Conditions; and
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care: The Science of Compassion.
Additionally, NINR identified two areas that cut across the Institute’s research portfolios and are vital to the advancement of nursing science:
- Promoting Innovation: Technology to Improve Health; and
- 21st Century Nurse Scientists: Innovative Strategies for Research Careers.
Also informing the draft strategic plan was NINR’s Innovative Questions (IQ) Initiative. The IQ Initiative sought ideas to encourage new thinking and creativity in nursing science, explore unanswered questions, promote results-oriented research, and guide the science over the next five to ten years. The innovative questions that emerged from the IQ Initiative played a major role in informing the future research directions that are presented in the draft strategic plan.
The comment period will close on March 24. The final strategic plan is scheduled for release in September 2016.