Below are links to essential information for particular aspects of the application process.
Several elements of essential information are enhanced by Decision Trees developed by other Institutes and Centers at NIH to help investigators learn how reviewers determine an applications compliance with human subject protection requirements, data and safety monitoring plans/boards and gender/minority/children inclusion requirements. These decision trees are generally applicable to research supported by any NIH Institute.
Note: Some files listed here are Word Documents, requiring Microsoft Word viewer to view them. Microsoft Word viewer can be downloaded here.
Policy on Reporting Race and Ethnicity Data
- Gender and the Inclusion of Women, Minorities and Children
- Assurance of Compliance With DHHS Regulations for the Protection of Human Subjects
- Decision Tree for Human Subjects
- Decision Tree for Protection of Human Subjects from Research Risk
- Decision Tree for IRB Waiver
- At least two online courses are available to provide this training. One is Learning About Clinical Trials and the other is PRIM&R Investigator 101 CD-ROM for Training in Human Subjects Protection
- Generic Data And Safety Monitoring Plan For Clinical Trials Not Requiring a Data And Safety Monitoring Board
- Decision Tree for Data and Safety Monitoring Plan
Procedures for Applications Requesting Direct Costs of $500,000 or More in Any Year
- Revised Policy on the Acceptance for Review of Uncolicited Applications that Request $500,000 or More in Direct Costs