The following is required when a grantee institution is proposing a replacement Principal Investigator (P.I.) on an active grant:
Letter signed by the current P.I. and the proposed P.I. and an authorized institutional business official documenting the following:
- Change in the P.I. from Dr. _______ to Dr. ________.
- Reason for the change.
- Proposed effective date of the change.
- Level of effort the proposed replacement P.I. will devote to the project.
- The proposed P.I.'s involvement, if any, in the project to date.
- Any budget changes that will result from the change in P.I.
The countersigned letter should be submitted to the appropriate Grants Management Specialist, with a copy to the NINR Program Director, at least two weeks prior to the proposed effective date.
Follow the guidance in PA-14-078
Requests requiring NINR prior approval (second no-cost extensions of the project, change of Principal Investigator; change(s) in key personnel; change of project scope, etc.) must
- be submitted via email from an authorized institutional business official (i.e., Office of Sponsored Programs)
- be signed by both the Principal Investigator/Fellow and the authorized institutional official (or forwarded via email from the PI to the business official), and
- reference the complete grant number (e.g., 1 R01 NR 01234-01).
Please note that NINR rarely approves a second no cost extension and does not encourage submission of these requests.
Requests must be sent via email to the Grants Management Specialist named on the Notice of Award. To enhance the decision-making responsibility shared by Grants Management and Scientific Program Staff, please cc the Program Director.
For second no-cost extension requests, a letter, signed by the Principal Investigator and an authorized institutional official, must be received by the appropriate Grants Management Specialist, Grants Management Branch, no later than 30 days prior to the grants Project Period End Date. The correspondence must explain the need for an additional no-cost extension, document the activities to be completed, specify the amount of remaining grant funds, and include a detailed description of the proposed use of unexpended funds (either a detailed budget or narrative description). If the FCOI policy applies to the current award, an Annual Report must be submitted via the eRA Commons according to the regulations. The request for the second no-cost extension will be evaluated by the Division of Extramural Science Programs. The prior approval request should be submitted via email from an authorized institutional business official. Please note that a second no-cost extension for soley the completion of manuscripts will not be approved. Furthermore, additional no-cost extensions beyond the second one will not be considered.